Capeache SaladSeptember 4, 2009 at 2:42 am | Posted in Salads | 2 Comments
Tags: beef kabobs, Caprese Salad, Colorado Peaches, Dinner, peaches
Capeache – Caprese, get it? After all, this is sort of a riff on Caprese Salad.
I’ve also given this salad a subtitle of Peachzilla Salad. I mean look at that peach, it looks more like a hamburger bun…it looks pretty darn silly. But it was good. I found this recipe on Food and Wine and it called for grilled apricots. As you know, I”m trying to use all those peaches I purchased, so thought I’d give this a try, with a peach substitute.
I urge you to take the time to take a look at the perfect Food and Wine picture, so you at least know how elegant it can appear with a normal sized fruit. I have a feeling the flavor of the apricot actually works better for this recipe, but I don’t have a counter full of apricots right now.
I simply served this with grilled beef kabobs. A really nice meal.
Grilled Peach and Goat Cheese Salad with Arugula and Pine Nut Dressing
- 6 fresh peaches, halved and pitted
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunch (4 ounces) arugula, stemmed
- One 4-ounce log fresh goat cheese, cut into 12 slices
- Light a grill. In a medium bowl, toss the peaches with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and the thyme and season with salt and pepper. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Grill the peach halves over high heat for about 6 minutes, turning once, until lightly charred and softened.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer the nuts to a cutting board and finely chop.
- Put the pine nuts in a medium bowl. Whisk in the vinegar and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the arugula and toss. Arrange the goat cheese slices on plates. Top with arugula salad and then grilled peaches and serve right away.