Mexican Dinner Menu: Mexican Christmas Eve SaladDecember 27, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Posted in Mexican/Southwest, Salads | 42 Comments
Tags: Mexican Christmas Eve Salad, Mexican Salad, Salad with Beets
When researching salad recipes for my Mexican Christmas dinner, this colorful Christmas Eve Salad jumped out with festive enthusiasm in almost every search result. Each recipe was a little different but the list of ingredients usually included lettuce, beets, oranges, bananas, jicima, pomegranate seeds, peanuts and even small hard candies. A pinata in a bowl if you will.
I really couldn’t find much of a history, or where this recipe originated, just the reoccurring theme of beets and fruit, served in a glass bowl and is a traditional salad during the holidays in Mexico and in the Southwest. All in all, you couldn’t ask for a more eye-catching dish. With the glass bowl and layering of colorful ingredients, it almost reminded me of an English trifle. It was promptly placed on my menu and all I had to do was pick through the array of ingredients and decide upon a creamy or vinaigrette dressing. Yes, there were as many versions of dressings as salad ingredients. I chose a creamy. Let’s take a look.
Mexican Christmas Eve Salad (my version):
- 2 red beets, roasted peeled and sliced
- 2 golden beets, roasted peeled and sliced
- 1 small jicima, peeled and sliced
- 1 navel orange, peeled and sliced
- 1 head romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- Seeds of one pomegranate
- 1 handful chopped peanuts
- Salt and pepper to taste
Layer all ingredients in a glass bowl lightly salting and peppering as you go.
I decided on a creamy dressing recipe that I found on one of my favorite blogs, Homesick Texan.
For the dressing:
- A salad that you practically had to wear sunglasses to look at
- A salad that was a little hard to dish up, I would chop next time instead of slice
- A salad that was incredibly festive on my Mexican Feast table
- The creamy dressing was absolutely delicious, especially using a Mexican style sour cream
- A delightful concoction that has now found a place in my recipe database (minus the hard candies)
Mexican Christmas Eve Salad…It’s What’s for the Holidays.